Wednesday, November 1, 2000
Miguel Angel Flores Scheduled To Be Executed
AUSTIN - Texas Attorney General John Cornyn offers the following information on Miguel Angel Flores who is scheduled to be executed
after 6 p.m. on Thursday, November 9th.
Flores was convicted and sentenced to death for the June 1989 murder of Angela Tyson.
Flores kidnapped Tyson as she was leaving the video rental store where she worked in
Borger, Texas. Flores forced Tyson into her car and then drove to a remote location away
from the city. There, Flores raped Tyson. He then stabbed her numerous times, killing her.
Flores turned himself in to the police the day Angela Tyson's body was found.
- Flores turned himself in to police the day Angela Tyson's body was found.
- Flores gave police four tape recorded statements, confessing to the murder.
- Flores told police that he and Angela sat in her car for about ten minutes without
talking and then he took out a pocket knife and stabbed her.
- DNA tests performed on semen found on Tyson's body showed the DNA matched Flores.
- Flores' car was found at the video store where he kidnapped Tyson.
- December 8, 1993 - Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed Flores' conviction.
- March 9, 1994 - Texas Court of Criminal Appeals denied rehearing.
- October 11, 1994 - U.S. Supreme Court denied Flores' petition for writ of certiorari.
- June 5, 1995 - Flores filed an application for writ of habeas corpus in state
court. Based on the filing, the trial court recommended denial of relief.
- July 28, 1995 - Court of Criminal Appeals denied relief.
- November 6, 1998 - District court denied relief based on the petition for federal
habeas corpus that Flores filed.
- April 20, 2000 - Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the district court's
denial of relief.
- Flores has filed a clemency petition with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles
which is pending.
PRIOR CRIMINAL HISTORY
Flores had no prior criminal history.
11/14/2000 Stacey Lamont Lawton (Smith County)
11/15/2000 Tony Chambers (Smith County)
11/16/2000 Johnny Paul Penry (Polk County)
12/05/2000 Garry Dean Miller (Jones County)
12/06/2000 Daniel Joe Hittle (Dallas County)
12/07/2000 Claude Howard Jones (San Jacinto County)
01/09/2001 Jack Wade Clark (Lubbock County)
01/18/2001 Alvin Goodwin (Montgomery County)
01/22/2001 Steven Anthony Butler (Harris County)
If this execution is carried out it will be the 235th execution since executions resumed in
Texas in December 1982 and the 71st since General Cornyn took office.
- 30 -
Contact Mark Heckmann, Heather Browne, or Tom Kelley at (512) 463-2050
Go to Top