Office of the Attorney General News Release Archive

Tuesday, April 30, 2002


Curtis Moore Scheduled to be Executed

AUSTIN - Texas Attorney General John Cornyn offers the following information on Curtis Moore, who is scheduled to be executed after 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 1, 2002.

On Nov. 9, 1996, Curtis Moore was sentenced to die for the capital murder of Henry Truevillian, which occurred in Fort Worth, Texas, on Nov. 30, 1995. A summary of the evidence presented at trial follows.


Darrel Hoyle and his friends Henry Truevillian and Roderick Moore (no relation) met Curtis Moore late in the evening of Nov. 29, 1995. Curtis was with his nephew, Anthony Moore. The five men agreed to meet to make a cocaine deal at a house on Pate Street that belonged to Curtis' sister. Henry and Roderick rode with Darrel in his beige, four-door Cutlass and Curtis and Anthony rode in a blue Oldsmobile that Curtis said he borrowed from a friend.

When they arrived at the Pate Street house, Darrel and Anthony waited outside and talked. The three other men went inside. About five minutes later, Darrel and Anthony entered the house. The five men talked in the kitchen for a while and then Curtis and Anthony went into the bathroom together. Moments later, Curtis came out of the bathroom shouting, "This is a jack," which in street language means a robbery. Curtis took $150 from Darrel and $5 from Henry. While Curtis held a gun on Darrel, Henry and Roderick, he told Anthony to tie up the three men. Anthony tied the victims' hands and feet. Curtis then put Darrel and Henry in the trunk of Darrel's car. From what Darrel could ascertain from inside the trunk, Curtis drove, Anthony rode in the front passenger seat and Roderick rode in the back seat.

After a while, the car stopped and Darrel heard Curtis say that the car was out of gas. Curtis went to get gasoline and told Anthony to keep the gun pointed at Roderick. Curtis returned about 10 minutes later, put the gasoline in the car, and drove on. The car stopped sometime later and Darrel assumed that they were at Roderick's house because he heard Roderick's girlfriend, LaTanya Boone, scream after hearing a gun shot. Darrel assumed that LaTanya and Roderick were put into another car because he did not hear them again. The car stopped again, this time Curtis asked Darrel and Henry if they were trying to get loose. Curtis then drove on.

Around 2:00 a.m. on November 30, the car stopped again on Wilbarger Street in southeast Tarrant County. Darrel heard Curtis get out of the car and moments later the trunk opened. Curtis fired a gun at Darrel and Henry and then closed the trunk. Darrel heard Henry say, "Oh, I'm hit." Curtis opened the trunk again and poured gasoline on Darrel and Henry. Curtis closed the trunk until it was open only enough to stick in his hand. Darrel heard the flick of the lighter and then his and Henry's clothes caught on fire. Curtis tried to close the trunk but Darrel kicked until it opened.

Darrel pulled Henry and himself out of the trunk and ran. When he realized that he was on fire, Henry dropped to the ground and rolled. Curtis then gave chase, while Darrel ran into the woods on the other side of the street. When Curtis caught up to him, he stepped on Darrel's neck and threatened his life. Darrel played dead and Curtis left him alone and walked back to the cars. Darrel then got up, ran farther into the woods and found a hiding place. He watched his car burn and then saw what appeared to be an explosion. When Curtis realized that Darrel was gone, Curtis removed his shirt and yelled that he was going to kill Darrel. Darrel heard sirens and saw Curtis run toward the highway. He saw a blue Oldsmobile that looked like the one Curtis had been driving earlier, drive toward the highway. When the fire trucks and police arrived, Darrel ran up to them. He was able to tell a fireman his and Henry's name, but was unable to tell them anything else because he was in shock and burned on about 60 percent of his body.

Later that morning, the police were called to a crime scene on David Strickland Street, not far from the Wilbarger site, where the bodies of LaTanya and Roderick were found shot with a 9 mm gun.

Darrel gave a statement to the police when he regained consciousness six days after he was shot and burned. When Darrel gave his statement to the police, he told them Anthony's street name -- Kojak -- and that Anthony attended O.D. Wyatt High School. He also told police that he did not know Curtis' name, but he knew Curtis drove a pink truck. With that information, the police were able to find Curtis and Anthony and arrest them on December 12. After his arrest, Anthony led police to the 9 mm gun that a ballistics expert testified had been used to kill LaTanya and Roderick.


September 5, 1996 - A grand jury indicted Moore in the 371st Judicial District Court of Tarrant County, Texas, for the capital offense of murdering Henry Truevillian, LaTanya Boone and Roderick Moore during the same criminal transaction or, alternatively, murdering Henry Truevillian while in the course of kidnapping or robbing Henry Truevillian, Darrel Hoyle, Roderick Moore, and LaTanya Boone.

November 9, 1996 - Although Moore entered a plea of not guilty, a jury found him guilty of capital murder. Following a separate punishment hearing, the court assessed a sentence of death the same day.

September 29, 1998 - Moore filed an application for writ of habeas corpus in the trial court.

April 28, 1999 - His conviction and sentence were automatically appealed to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, which affirmed in an unpublished opinion.

November 3, 1999 - The Court of Criminal Appeals denied habeas relief in an unpublished order.

May 5, 2000 - Moore filed a petition for writ of habeas corpus in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth Division.

July 13, 2000 - The federal district court denied habeas relief.

August 14, 2000 - The federal district court denied permission to appeal.

October 10, 2001 - The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit denied permission to appeal in an unpublished opinion.

December 3, 2001 - The Fifth Circuit denied Moore's petition for rehearing.

March 4, 2002 - Moore filed a petition for writ of certiorari in the United States Supreme Court, which is currently pending.


At age 12, Moore was detained for running away, resulting in confinement at a juvenile detention center. He was subsequently released to his parents. He was again detained for incorrigibility at age 13, resulting in a voluntary commitment to Boysville Juvenile Home in San Antonio, Texas. He was released to his parents after six months. At age 15, Moore was detained for theft of a bicycle and committed to the Texas Youth Commission. After six months, he was released on juvenile parole, which he successfully completed.

In 1985, Moore was sentenced to six years for robbery by threats. He was released on mandatory supervision in March of 1987, but was returned to custody in September 1987 with a subsequent two year sentence for theft of property over $750. He was released on parole in July 1988. Moore returned to TDCJ as a parole violator in October 1988 on a 15-year sentence for theft from a person. He was released on parole in April 1990, but returned as a parole violator in January of 1991 on a 15-year sentence for possession of cocaine and possession of a weapon by a felon (.357 magnum pistol). He returned as a parole violator in November of 1996 for the current offense.

TDCJ records indicate that while incarcerated, Moore had one minor and one major violation for refusing to groom. Moore also stabbed another inmate in the jaw with an ink pen during a game of dominoes, exclaiming, "I am going to kill your punk ass like I killed your home boys."


For additional information and statistics, please log on the Texas Department of Criminal Justice website,

- 30 -

Go to Top