Disability payments may be available for disabled peace officers.

Once your application is approved, we will work with you to determine what disabled peace officer payments are eligible.

What Disability Payments Are Covered?

Disability payments are paid based on an average of your annual salary during your final three years as a peace officer minus any collateral sources.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for disabled peace officer payments:

  • You must apply and be eligible for Crime Victims’ Compensation.
  • You must be a peace officer or former peace officer, employed by the state or a local governmental entity.
  • You sustained an injury because of the crime while performing your peace officer duties.
  • Your condition is a total disability that has persisted for more than 12 months.

Who May Receive Compensation?

Disabled peace officers or claimants on their behalf may be eligible for disability payments.

Disabled Peace Officer Limit

Crime Victim’s Compensation payments are paid before disabled peace officer payments. If you are eligible, we will work with you to determine when the payments may begin. Disability payments are made monthly, quarterly, or annually. Total disabled peace officer payments are limited to $200,000.

CVC is the last source of payment by law. All other readily available resources must pay before any payment by the program. Learn more about payment sources at Covered Costs. 

Related Documentation

As your application is being processed, be prepared to provide copies of:

  • Verification of annual salary during final three years as a peace officer
  • Verification that disability is total and permanent and has persisted more than 12 months as determined by:
    • Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation
    • The governmental agency responsible for determining that the peace officer is “totally and permanently disabled”
    • Information received by CVC as a result of an Independent Medical Examination (IME)
    • A Pension Board created pursuant to Tex. Rev. Civ. Stat. Art 6243d-1
  • Verification of any amounts received from other sources of income, including settlements related to the injury or disability, insurance benefits, federal disability benefits, workers' compensation benefits, and benefits from another government entity

We will tell you what documentation to mail to CVC and when.