If the Crime Victim Compensation (CVC) Program determines the claim to be eligible, certain funeral and burial expenses may be payable up to $4,500 plus mileage or freight when the deceased is transferred over 50 miles to another location for the funeral or burial. The person accepting the financial responsibility for the funeral expenses must be listed on the victim’s claim.
If a claim is reduced (50% or 75%) due to eligibility, the amount awarded will be reduced.
1. Funeral Purchase Agreement (FPA):
2. Payments received by the funeral service provider from others including any insurance payment must be shown on the FPA. Most insurance payments are collateral sources and CVC will pay the funeral provider less any collateral source payments received. Payments made by a CVC claimant can be reimbursed to them if the total award does not exceed the maximum award for the funeral and burial expenses of $4,500.
Collateral sources include, but are not limited to the following:
3. Receipts for any payments made to the funeral home (third party payments, family member payments, etc).
4. The funeral home Tax Identification Number.
5. Death certificate.
6. Cash advance items, charges from other funeral homes, etc.
Receipts, invoices, and/or contracts if the FPA includes charges for services rendered by other providers (other funeral homes, shipping services, cemeteries, air freight, etc.). The amounts listed on receipts, invoices and/or contracts must coincide with the amounts submitted on the FPA. If the amounts on the FPA and the receipts, invoices or contracts do not coincide, CVC will suspend processing the claim for payment until the matter is resolved by the funeral home.
For evaluation of transportation charges over 50 miles one way:
Documentation required for transport to another state or country:
CVC staff may ask for any receipts or contracts from other providers of service as necessary. At the time of submission, all sources of payment must be disclosed with the FPA. If changes occur or payments are made after the original submission, the funeral home is obligated to notify CVC and re-submit a revised FPA with appropriate signature/or signatures.
The provision of funeral and burial services is a critical step in a loved one's recovery. If you have questions or require assistance, please contact the assigned case manager at 1-800-983-9933.