Ken Paxton

State of Texas v. Parkview Home School, et al.

The Office of the Attorney General of Texas brought a lawsuit against Parkview Home School (a/k/a Parkview Baptist School) in April 2015 for violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices—Consumer Protection Act. The State alleged that Parkview was was a “diploma mill,” and deceptively sold invalid high school diplomas and transcripts. The State also alleged that Parkview misrepresented to consumers that it was accredited and approved by the State of Texas.

In the end, the Parkview defendants agreed to settle the case, and on March 14, 2016, the court entered an agreed final judgment and permanent injunction. The permanent injunction prevents the Parkview defendants from selling diplomas and transcripts; operating any business that is affiliated with homeschooling; and operating any type of private school, school-support entity, or school alternative. After the judgment was entered, Parkview shut down its business.

A copy of the State’s petition and the agreed final judgment and permanent injunction are available here:

I have been advised by my college that my Parkview diploma and transcript are not valid and I do not qualify for financial aid. What do I do?

Please contact your college’s financial aid office to discuss options.

What should I do to continue my education if I did not graduate from high school?

You have a number of options. Please contact your local community college or junior college regarding open admissions policies, college readiness exams, and obtaining a high school equivalency certificate (GED). Also, contact your local public school district regarding enrolling in alternative education coursework.

What is a “home school”?

Texas law protects legitimate home-schooling.  Under Texas law, a legitimate home school involves a school-age child pursuing a curriculum in a bona fide manner under the direction of a parent or one standing in parental authority in the home. The curriculum must meet basic education goals of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and study of good citizenship. 

If you have additional questions, please call the Houston Office of the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas at (713) 223-5886.  If you wish to file a complaint with our office, go to