Ken Paxton
Fighting identity theft banner

Step 5 - Monitor Your Credit Report to Thwart Continued Identity Theft Abuses

Each of the three major credit bureaus is required to provide you with one free copy of your credit report per year. You can use these free credit reports as a tool to monitor your financial well-being. If you find an account on your credit report that you did not open, contact the creditor. To request your free credit reports, call or write the Annual Credit Report Request Service or visit their Web site.

Keep track of the dates on which important documents such as bills, financial statements and insurance papers normally arrive at your home. If any of these documents are late, contact the sender and find out why. An identity thief can re-route your mail to another address to hide criminal activity. Remember to keep up with the fraud alert or security freeze you requested from credit bureaus. If necessary, renew the fraud alert when it expires (usually every 90 days) or initiate a security freeze.

You might also be contacted by a debt collector about an account that you disputed because of identity theft. If that happens, dispute the debt in writing with the debt collector. If the collector continues to contact you or harasses you or your family, file a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General by calling (800) 252-8011 or going online at

Annual Credit Report Request Service

P.O. Box 105283
Atlanta, GA 30348-5283
(877) 322-8228