Ken Paxton
Fighting identity theft banner

Step 4 - Prevent Further ID Theft Abuse

Prevent Further Identity Theft Abuse by Contacting the Following Agencies:

  • Local Texas Department of Public Safety Driver License Office
  • Social Security Administration (SSA)
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • U.S. Postal Inspection Service
  • U.S. Passport Agency

An identity thief might use your personal information to fraudulently obtain a driver's license, file for bankruptcy, apply for Social Security benefits or even get a passport. To head off such possibilities, contact the following agencies and follow their procedures to prevent an identity thief from using your personal information in this manner.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Driver License Office

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) can check its database to determine the last time a driver's license was issued in your name. If a license was issued after the last time you obtained one for yourself, immediately report that fraud to DPS. Your local driver's license office will determine the best course of action for your individual situation. To find the location of the nearest driver's license office, contact DPS by telephone or visit the agency's Web site.

(512) 424-2600 (English)
(512) 424-7181 (Spanish)

Social Security Administration

If you believe your Social Security number has been compromised, immediately contact the Social Security Administration. Order a copy of your Personal Earnings and Benefits Estimate Statement (PEBES) and compare it to your work history. If you notice any employers or earnings you do not recognize, someone might be using your Social Security number for employment. Report any discrepancies to the Social Security Administration's Office of the Inspector General.

In extraordinary circumstances, the Social Security Administration may change your Social Security number. However, changing your number will be done only as a last resort when a very specific set of criteria have been met. Contact the Social Security Administration to determine the best course of action for you.

Altmeyer Building, Suite 300
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235
(800) 772-1213

Internal Revenue Service

If you believe an identity thief has used your Social Security number to fraudulently file for a tax refund or has compromised your taxes, contact your local Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Taxpayer Assistance Center. IRS personnel will help determine what damage has been done to your tax record and help you determine the steps to correct the problem.

(800) 908-4490

U.S. Postal Inspection Service

If you believe an identity thief stole items from your mailbox, or thieves used the U.S. Postal Service as part of the crime committed against you, report it to the nearest U.S. Postal Inspection Service. The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is the law enforcement branch of the U.S. Postal Service and handles all investigations of U.S. Mail theft and fraud.

Attn: Mail Fraud
222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250
Chicago, IL 60606-6100
(800) 372-8347

U.S. Passport Service

If you believe an identity thief has used your identity to obtain a U.S. Passport in your name, report it to the United States Department of State. The threat of terrorism makes this a critical step. Reporting the crime will cause the passport to be rendered useless to the thief, as it will be invalidated once it has been reported as stolen, missing or fraudulent.

(877) 487-2778